Tuesday 15 May 2018

Pinge Uncle's Crab Treat...

Similar Gloomy climate existed on that sultry yet chilly set day of June as today. I may be in my 3rd Standard of my academic year. It was raining Cats and Dogs as they call. Quite usual in Thane, a suburb (not now though) close to Mumbai. Our family was invited by Dad's Office colleague in VOLTAS LIMITED... Mr.Pinge...Pinge uncle was a Konkani. Konkani's are a small community in India inhabiting the coastal areas in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala in miniscule numbers. Their dialect may find similarity in all the 2 states but it's different. Probably one of the most sweet and romantic languages to converse in. Today's rain infused chilly weather, made my Sunday brunch cooking decision easier as soon as I saw Crab's on the fish monger daily message in my WhatsApp. As I cooked my hands and mind conjured to a spice combination which emanated a fragrance. That fragrance took me back memory lanes to Pinge Uncle. For some reason brother and mother could not make it to the lunch. Pinge Uncle lived with his family in a one room chawl. The rain splashes reached our plates as we waited for the lunch to be served. The fragrance as I removed my new Bata Sandal and entered their cozy ground floor house had increased my appetite. I am known to be a hogger and my humble father was infusing eating etiquettes all the way. He was constantly advising me in Malayalam "Eat Slowly, Take what you can eat only. Have little". I was listening but not sure I was attentive. As I was an observing an earthworm in the verandah trying to swirl and twist in the mud, I smelled something served on top of steaming rice-Crab Masala...Wowww. The fish fries, mutton chukka took a backseat as I swirled and sucked each and every morsel with crab juice oozing on to my plate through my hand. Dad kept on saying in my ears "Go Slow”. But I was on Top gear...that Crab treat with the rains is etched in memory and Today hope to treat my daughter's mother on a Happy Mother’s Day Lunch...Bon Apetit or should I say Crabetit...Thank you Pinge Uncle for starting my Romantic journey with crabs which my Dad continued for years for us.



I am penning down one such recipe handed over through taste by my Dad to me.

 

Ingredients Main Ingredient: Crab: 1 Kg (before cleaning)

 

1st Step

 

For the Masala:

 

Scrapped Fresh Coconut - 1 Medium size coconut - Take half of the same.

Coriander Seeds - 2 tbsp.

Pepper Seeds - 2 tbsp.

 

Roast the same and make a semi fine paste without adding water much water. Keep Aside.

 

2nd Masala:

 

Onion sliced: 4

Poppy seeds (khas khas) - 1/4 tbsp.

 

Roast them in coconut oil and makes a fine paste and keep aside

 

3rd Masala :

 

Ginger (crushed): 1″ piece Garlic (crushed): 10 cloves

Keep it handy as this goes in oil first

 

 

Keep the below ingredients ready

 

Tomato chopped : 1  

Kashmiri chilly powder : 2 tbsp. (optional)

Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp.

Coriander powder : 2 tbsp.

Garam masala powder : 1/2 tblspn

Pepper Powder : 1/2 tbspn

Coconut milk : 1/2 cup (thick one)

Shallots / kunjulli (sliced) : 10 Curry leaves : 2 springs

Coriander sprigs for garnish Coconut oil Salt Method :

 

I would leave the basic things in my recipes aside eg : Cleaning the crab etc.

Heat a clay pot (manchatti)/ pan with coconut oil. Once the oil is hot add the Ginger Garlic paste/ crushed ones. Once the raw smell is off add the shallots and roast it. Add the crab and the Ist masala. Once a boil comes add the 2nd masala along with Turmeric, sliced tomato, Coriander Powder, curry leaves and Kashmiri chilly powder. Once another boil comes and it starts to thicken add the coconut milk. Cook for some time till it is semi dry and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the Pepper Powder now as it enhances the taste if it is put in the end.

And serve it with Rice, Tapioca, Chappati, and Malabar Porotta.

 

Note: I have not mentioned at what stage to put salt. Normally I put a bit at every stage and keep tasting Eg: In the masala’s, while roasting the onions for masala and shallots. For 2 reasons - the onions cook faster and I can control the salt taste. Salt is an enhancer of taste and should not be a spoiler. You should be able to taste the sea as you cook slowly.

 

Bon Crabetit.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

ORANGE CARROT TEA CAKE